Week after week our stockpile of butternut squash from the CSA has been growing. Luckily they last a long time. I decided to consult allrecipes.com to figure out how to use them. I have found several great recipes from this site. If 1,500 people say it's good, I usually agree.
- 6 tablespoons chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 6 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups water
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender.
The soup was a hit at Grandma Kregel's birthday party. My dad has requested that I make more for Thanksgiving. If you ever find yourself with more butternut squash then you know what to do with, I recommend this soup!